Get to know me granny rocks
Me Granny Rocks is a brand of 100% Irish, personalised hand-knitted accessories. Why that? Because we believe in slow fashion, as well as the uniqueness of everyone and nothing is better than a hat or a scarf, hand-knitted with love by a Granny.
Add some love and tradition to your fashion
Me Granny Rocks provides you with ethical products, which have a story and a full traceability, unlike the mass-produced garments made in low cost countries. They are hand-made just for you, according to the design and colours you pick, by passionate and dedicated knitters.
We support the Irish tradition by using wool yarns produced in a traditional wool-spinning mill located in county Donegal, and highlighting the precious know-how of our expert knitters, all based in Ireland.
Moreover, Me Granny Rocks aims to be as much eco-friendly as possible by making efforts to reduce the mileage at every step of the production, and ensuring it is entirely made in Ireland. We use natural fibres, which are biodegradable, recycled paper and eco-friendly products for packaging. Of course, we also recycle rubbish in-house.
Story of a crazy idea
Anne-Caroline, founder and owner of Me Granny Rocks, first learned to knit from her Grandmother. It soon became a healthy addiction. Then, while knitting Christmas presents for family and friends during the winter 2013, she came up with the idea of providing unique personalised hand-knitted accessories to people who might not have a granny who could knit, or the time to do it.
After a few months, the idea gave birth to a project, which became reality to this Frenchwoman who has been living in Ireland for many years, now based in county Clare. Finding sheep everywhere Ireland could not be a better place to set up this business, given the well-known tradition of knitting all over the country.
About the accessories
Being passionate for outdoor activities, mainly hiking, sailing, snowboarding and using her bicycle as much as possible, Anne-Caroline has naturally focused on hats, headbands, scarves and gloves. These become essential equipment to remain warm, although they can be easily worn in many circumstances due to their contemporary design. It is also worth a mention that the stunning nature in County Clare is a great source of inspiration.
So, in order to help you create your own knitwear, we offer you many basic original designs you can choose according to your style, taste and wishes. Then it is up to you to pick the colours and to add a bubble, a bow or a flower. Finally, your design becomes a pattern, which is sent to a knitter that will make it for you. Some ready-made items are also available if you are not in a creative mood or if you wish to get your order quickly.
About the yarn
Me Granny Rocks gladly works with natural fibre. For every item, we use 100% merino wool yarns that are entirely produced, from raw wool to finished yarns, and traditionally spun in a woollen mill situated in county Donegal, Ireland. With this method of spinning, the yarns get unparalleled multi-coloured flecks, which gives a unique character to our accessories. The extensive choice between 24 gorgeous colours offers unlimited combinations to design your own knitwear.
In addition, the merino wool presents great features:
- Soft: it is one of the softest wool yarns due to its very fine fibres, which makes it light-weight as well.
- Breathable: it absorbs moisture/perspiration, up to 30% of its weight, then moves it away to evaporate into the air.
- Warm (and cool!): unlike synthetic yarns, Merino is an active fibre that reacts to changes in body temperature. So it keeps you warm when the weather is cold, and cool when the weather is hot. This is why it is recommended for newborn babies who can’t regulate their body temperature.
- Antibacterial and odour resistant: it is naturally antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-static and disinfects itself in fresh air, so it has a natural resistance to odours.
- Stain resistant: it has a natural protective outer layer that prevents stains from being absorbed. And because it is static-resistant, it attracts less dust and lint from the air.
- Natural, renewable and biodegradable: it is inherently ecological product. It is renewable and sustainable product because Merino sheep grow new fleece every year. It is protein based and naturally decomposes only in a few years, unlike synthetics.
About the knitters
We like to cherish our knitters by making them happily busy with their passion. Our team is mostly composed of grannies, supported by younger women we like to call grannies to be. All are based in Ireland and knit at home, at their own pace. We have as well one crocheter who makes the flowers and crocheted hats. They have a great experience acquired by knitting for themselves, their families and friends, or acquired as a professional knitter.
In practice, after you create your own accessory, we look for a knitter in our network that is available to make it in due time. Depending on her location, the finished product is then sent by post to headquarters or directly collected at their home, for quality control, before it is sent to you along with their autograph!